Inspired by this fierce and resilient woman, I began this project in a large scale. You can see how it developed and my eventual wiping away of the project in the video below.
As It progressed I realized i didn't like its direction. I really wanted to finish the painting though so I revised the concept and tried again.
Below you can see photos of my progress from my second try. I first water coloured her face, then applied a layer of modge podge to serve as a clear base for subsequent layers of oil paint. It's a technique I have been slowly developing and am still exploring but I very much like how it allows for a combination of two contrasting textures and mediums in one work.